Forum Members - Please don't forget you must be logged in to post messages or to subscribe to forums or topics

Late Summer Cruise (August Bank Holiday Weekend)

These forums contain threads from past events. New postings are not allowed; these threads are retained for reference only.
Hoppetosse
Your Full Name: Andy Hobden
Boat Name: Hoppetosse

Re: Late Summer Cruise (August Bank Holiday Weekend)

Post by Hoppetosse » August 21st, 2020, 3:28 pm

Thanks Robin.
Early indications on Windfinder suggests conditions on the Saturday won't be very nice for my little boat.
Thursday looks better so I might go up then and meet you up there.

polo
Your Full Name: Robin Kemp
Boat Name: POLO 4

Post by polo » August 22nd, 2020, 9:47 am

O.K. Andy. We are keeping an eye on the weather ourselves.
Jean & Rob.

challenge2
Your Full Name: Robert Gant
Boat Name: Challenge II

Post by challenge2 » August 23rd, 2020, 8:00 pm

We could always drive to WFYC for lunch and then sail direct to the Deben from Tollesbury on Monday!
Bob Gant
Challenge II

challenge2

Post by challenge2 » August 24th, 2020, 9:09 am

Just looked at the tide times and we might have to have a stop over in the Orwell area Monday night
Bob Gant
Challenge II

polo
Your Full Name: Robin Kemp
Boat Name: POLO 4

Post by polo » August 25th, 2020, 4:07 pm

Currently the weather is forecast to be another typical August Bank Holiday weekend.
Saturday looks too much like hard work for me with generally Northerly winds gusting to 33 knts. (Met.Office). Neap tides also makes Saturday a non-starter for Polo. Friday is a repeat with less wind but rain added to the mix. Sunday it's still NNW 17 gusting 27 kts.
As Bob has posted, Monday at this stage looks good if the predictions can be relied upon, so a good plan "B".
At this moment I favour going up with Andy on Thursday as all looks good but will probably leave the marina Weds. afternoon to be sure of the depth on the sill. We aim to pick up a" Leavings " buoy and head out at a.m. high water. This is all assuming storm Francis has blown through.
Planning to overnight in The Orwell on a buoy or Shotley then direct to Titchmarsh on Friday.
Monday and Tuesday we are back to the original plan of The Orwell and Woodbridge.
Sorry David P and Tony W. that the above is not much comfort to you with only the weekend available to you.
As I will not have access to the internet after tomorrow lunchtime would you let me know your plans by TEXT 07535242115 so that I can inform the various marina's and W& F Y.C. regarding Sunday lunch.
Regards
Robin Kemp.

GilesC
Your Full Name: Giles Colchester
Boat Name: Petrah

Post by GilesC » August 25th, 2020, 5:34 pm

Our (Petrah's) current intention (which will change as often as the weather) is to leave Tollesbury on Monday 31 Aug and join you on the Orwell - assuming that is still your plan. So I am very sorry not to join you on the Sunday lunch at Walton. I hope that you have a good sail this week as you go up the coast as the wind is expected to be in the right direction for you. Giles

challenge2

Post by challenge2 » August 25th, 2020, 7:02 pm

Yep, the weekend looks grim and, as my previous post, we’ve decided to delay departure till Monday

We’ll be driving up to Walton-on-the-Naze on Sunday to meet Rob & Jean for lunch at WFYC, then back to Tollesbury ready for the Monday trip to the Harwich area

Hope the forecast holds!
Bob Gant
Challenge II