Forum Members - Please don't forget you must be logged in to post messages or to subscribe to forums or topics

Peters sabbatical

Please use this forum for discussions that do not fit well elsewhere.
PeterF
Your Full Name: peter ferguson
Boat Name: Enigma

Peters sabbatical

Post by PeterF » June 26th, 2019, 6:12 pm

As a few of you already know, on the 14th July I will start my sabbatical from work and I wonder whether you would mind me using this forum to gather information and ideas?. My general plan is to head south and around the coast for 2 weeks, the family to meet me for a week and then head home for 2 weeks.

As I'm solo sailing I'm keen to maintain day sails only.
Care off the lovely TCC trip to Ramsgate I'm effectively taking that as my starting point

I've read the guidelines for Ramsgate/Dover/Eastbourne and then into the solent and that part feels 'achievable' obviously subject to weather and using the tidal streams.

I'm curious to hear any experience you might be prepared to share?

ie: If I fancied going to France for Cheese/Wine would you do Gravelines or even Boulogne ? Where else in France would you go before coming back to UK coast line?

Ditto which marina's would you recommend/avoid on the south coast? Also which anchorages would you recommend?

I also understand Tollesbury is affiliated with other Marina's with potential discounts available - Not sure of how this works or details, any ideas?

Couple of interesting websites I've found
https://eoceanic.com/

http://www.sailingroundbritain.co.uk/main.html

Many thanks for your ideas

Best regards
Peter

davidprentis
Your Full Name: David Prentis
Boat Name: Wave Dancer

Re: Peters sabbatical

Post by davidprentis » June 27th, 2019, 10:02 pm

Hi Peter
Four weeks - lucky you!
You should get a Trans Europe Marinas card from the marina office. There is a leaflet listing participating marinas.
Brighton and Eastbourne both useful stopping points on south coast although entrances tricky in strong winds.
Gravelines well worth a visit and OK as day sail from Ramsgate. You could go on to Dunkirk then back to Dover or Ramsgate.
All the best
David

PeterF

Post by PeterF » June 28th, 2019, 4:21 pm

Thanks David and wow!

"The owners of yachts or motor vessels that are normally berthed at a TransEurope marina will be entitled to a 50% visitor’s berthing discount for up to five days per annum in each member marina upon production of a current TransEurope membership card. Any additional benefit shall be at the discretion of the individual marina."

Thats a more substantial discount than I had expected..

challenge2
Your Full Name: Robert Gant
Boat Name: Challenge II

Post by challenge2 » June 28th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Yep it works as well!

Just used our card at North Fambridge up the Crouch - it only cost us £12.65 but watch out if they charge for electric on top - Fambridge charge £5 per night!

Also pleasantly surprised in Dunkerque that they were in the same scheme and it was even cheaper including power
Bob & Anne
Challenge II

PeterF

Post by PeterF » July 1st, 2019, 9:12 am

£5 for electric??? What did they think you were powering, your inbuilt hottub/sauna?

PeterF

Post by PeterF » August 27th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Hi All..

Just to complete this post I thought I would respond to let you know I am safely back on land and at work after the last 6 weeks afloat.

Outbound: Tollesbury - Dover, Eastbourne, Brighton, Portsmouth, Port Solent, Yarmouth IoW, Poole Quay, Brownsea, Weymouth, Portland, Dartmouth,
Return: Dartmouth, Poole Quay, Studland, Beaulieu, Hamble, Portsmouth, Bembridge, Cowes, Portsmouth, Eastbourne, Ramsgate, Tollesbury

I had Sarah and the kids for 3 days in the brighton and another 3 days in the solent - and solo sailed for the rest.
Enigma was a wonderful boat and looked after me very well.
Met a bunch of interesting folk and learnt a great deal - It was an amazing experience that I feel grateful and lucky to have had.

During the last week we let Enigma have a rest back in Tollesbury and hired a Bavaria 37 in Croatia - nice boat but I properly bonded with Enigma so no plans to change..

Looking forward to sharing stories next time we are all out together..

BR

Peter

davidprentis
Your Full Name: David Prentis
Boat Name: Wave Dancer

Post by davidprentis » August 27th, 2019, 4:57 pm

Hi Peter

Sounds like a brilliant trip - well done.

I look forward to hearing more about it soon.

Best wishes

David